Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Weekly Fit Check: Second Half-Marathon

red apples

Happy Leap Day! I hope you’re doing something to thoroughly enjoy this day that happens only once every four years.

We are. My husband took the first half of the week off work and we took off school. Today we’ll be going to enjoy our annual trip to our favorite Japanese steakhouse – one of those places where the chef prepares the meal in front of you. Tasty and fun!

After that, we’re going to a matinee to enjoy a movie together. The whole family is looking forward to our day together.

On the weight-loss front, I’m still maintaining. I did show a small loss again this week – not enough to say that I’m breaking out of maintenance mode and into losing-the-last-ten-pounds mode, but it’s still fun to see a loss on the scale.

The highlight of my week was running my second half-marathon last Saturday. I knew, going in, that I wasn’t as prepared for this one as I was my first one. It’s hard to train in the winter when cold and rain often join forces to derail my training plan.

I was really hoping that I’d pull out a miracle and still beat my last time. I actually was on track for that to happen until Mile 8, when I got really tired. I got a bit of a second wind for Miles 9 – 11 weren’t too bad, but Miles 12 and 13 kicked my butt.

Second Half

I finished with a gun time of 2:31:22 and a chip time of 2:30:59. That’s only three minutes slower than my last time, so I’m not too disappointed with it. 

I wore the great shirt that I bought from One More Mile awhile back. The back says, “Dear God, please let there be someone behind me to read this.” I got tons of compliments on it. People loved it, just like I did when I saw it on someone at my first half-marathon.

IMG_5110

The irony was not lost on me that all the compliments came from people passing me. {grin}

I even got passed by two guys who ran the half in military pants, combat boots and 40-pound packs. Brian said they started out walking. I saw them several times. They would walk a bit, then, run a bit. They must have been moving on when they ran, though, because they passed me from way back and finished way ahead of me.

IMG_5113

Brian went running with me on my recovery run on Monday. It was one of those times when I had to go run to work the soreness out. He didn’t run the whole time, but I appreciated that he made an effort to give it a try.

Yesterday, we took the younger two kids out to ride bikes in a local park (our oldest didn’t want to go). It was a gorgeous day – perfect for riding and unbelievable for February.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Megan has finally gotten good enough in her riding skills to keep up. We didn’t set a hard, fast pace, but it was enough that I felt like I burned a decent amount of calories. That excites me because she really enjoyed it, which means more family bike rides in the future. I love physical activities that we can all enjoy…if we can drag the oldest along next time.

So, what about you? How are you keeping fit this week? Are you losing, maintaining, or it is time to get back on track?

Do or do not. There is no try.

8 comments:

  1. I logged a small loss this week, .9 pounds, that I worked my tail off for. Literally. It was kind of disheartening but seeing as though I was up most of the week about 2 pounds over the week before it definitely could have been worse. I hope next week goes better as I am starting a new challenge tomorrow, walking a 5K a day every day in March to get to 100 miles by the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome about your March challenge, Lisa! Good luck with your goal. I seriously considered signing up, but ultimately decided that I wanted to stick with my commitment to keep my running schedule flexible this month after spending the last several months in "have to train" mode. I just want running to be fun again for a while, rather than something that I *have* to do. I think you'll do great on your challenge and I'll be cheering you on!
    I know those weeks when you feel like you should have lost more can be frustrating, but you just took, like, a tablespoon less than a pound of fat off your body! That's only slightly less than four-sticks-of-butter's worth of fat that you're no longer carrying around. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee on your run!  You are so inspiring you are making me want to be a runner and I HATE running!!!  We have a Japanese place like that here that we like to go to.  Good food and good fun! (don't weigh tomorrow) :)
    I am still nursing an ear infection.  I have an appt with an ENT next week!
    Molly is now sick.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, see, it was the perfect time to go to the Japanese place...I don't have to weigh until next Tuesday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying the Weekly Fit Check format, Kris!  Seeing all the ways you & your family are staying active is really inspiring.  This week, my kids and I checked out a couple of children's fitness DVD's from the library and have had a ball doing them.  I can't believe I forgot all of the fun ways there are to move, you know, like we did in elementary P.E. classes.  I was proud of my kids for really getting into it and it improved our week in lots of ways, I thought.  

    I feel a little guilty that I let physical fitness take such a back seat for them.  It seems like you can't keep them still when they're really little, but I'm realizing we've been getting a lot more couch time than we should as they've gotten older.  So I'm really making an effort to change that...for them and for me, too!  

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Abby! That's really encouraging to hear you say that. I'm enjoying the new format, too -- taking the spotlight away from the scale and giving it to all the many ways that we are improving our health and fitness. I'm glad that it's inspiring you, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph @ A THINderella StoryMarch 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM

    I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and actually GAINED 4 pounds this week :( It's so frustrating. But great job on your half marathon! I am actually going to start training for a 5K next Monday. And once I reach that goal I'm going to start for a half :) I'm totally new to the running world, but yay! Congrats on finishing your SECOND half marathon!! :)

    If you're interested I just started a blog last week called A THINderella Story...here's the link: http://athinderellastory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I know that's got to be frustrating. Maybe it's hormonal fluctuations. Hope next week shows up better on the scale. Congrats on training for your first 5K! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.