Monday, January 2, 2012

My Goals for 2012

Happy New Year! It’s that time of year when people start making all those resolutions – the ones that don’t typically make it past the end of January. I shared some of my best tips for making New Year’s resolutions that really last over at AboutOne yesterday. I hope you’ll stop by and check them out.

One of my tips was to make specific goals. This will be the first year that I can recall in my adult like that one of my goals isn’t to lose a significant amount of weight. All I’ve got left is the less-than-10 pounds to reach my goal weight. Surely I can hit that by the end of 2012.

My big focus this year is going to be improving – or rather, fine-tuning – my eating habits. They’re vastly improved from when I started losing weight, but my diet could still stand to be healthier.

2401793877_47c58a209c

photo credit

I loved an article in the January issue of Runner’s World about specific small steps to improve your overall nutrition. I’m going to start with one of my own before moving through the ones suggested in the article.

My first goal is to begin eating at least one fruit or vegetable with every meal. I usually have veggies with lunch and dinner, but I don’t always get a fruit or veggie in with breakfast. As part of that, I also want to make sure I’m getting at least two servings of fruit every day.

After I’m doing well with that I’ll probably work on trying to include more whole grains in my diet, since that’s an area in which I’m really weak. Then, I’ll start working my way through the suggestions in Runner’s World.

I’ll be fine-tuning my nutrition in 2012, have you set any goals for yourself?

Do or do not. There is no try.

8 comments:

  1. My goal is to lose a total of 40 pounds....I'm down 16, so only 25 to go.  I feel so much better already, cannot wait to see with the rest of the journey. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make a conscious effort to eat veggies.  Fruits I could easily overeat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad thing to overeat, as far as overeating goes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... you know my first goal!! :)  I have about 5 to go- I am feeling strong and focused- so maybe it will really happen!!!  I am still working on some ideas for other goals- but I do agree that goals need to be specific and realistic. 
    I have all kinds of whole grain ideas for you.... when you are ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may be hitting you up for those whole grain ideas when I'm ready. My biggest problem is that I just don't eat that many grains to begin with and the recommended 6-8 is just like a massive amount to me. Maybe when I get there, I'll work on adding more rather than necessarily trying to hit that recommended number. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember... small steps.  If 6-8 seems overwhelming- just add one.  See how that goes and then maybe another.  Just like you said- don't focus on the 6-8... just add some more! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goal is to lose 50lbs. I am breaking that down into specific goals of exercising 30-45 min. 6 days a week, eating more fruits and veggies and cutting out as much processed foods and sugar as possible. This is going to be the year I make my health a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it! Be sure to stop by on Wednesdays for the Weekly Weigh-In and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.