Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: Post Christmas

Happy Wednesday! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. We definitely did. I think it was the first time ever that we managed to surprise all three kids. That was fun. If I’d known it was going to be so good, we’d have set up the video camera.

Oh, well. We have the memories.

I’d been saying all weekend that I wasn’t going to weigh on Tuesday. I was going to give myself a week to get back on track first. Y’all know that I’m all about knowing where I am, though, so I couldn’t make myself not weigh.

I was not surprised to see a gain. I had enjoyed myself while trying not to go completely overboard and I think I did okay with that. I gained 1.6 pounds, which put me at an even 132 again. I can totally live with that.

I didn’t work out for several days, but I did try to get some activity in and then, yesterday, I jumped right back into my routine with exercise and eating right – with the exception of a couple of pieces of peanut butter fudge that are still hanging around. It’ll all be gone in a day or two, though, and I won’t make anymore until next Christmas, so I refuse to feel too guilty.

I worked out on the spin bike a little bit yesterday, then, I did my new favorite physical activity – hula hoop! I have no idea how many calories it burns, but it sure does get my heart rate up…and it’s fun!

I’m using the hula hoop that my sister made me for Christmas. She started making them over the summer – custom-made for the user’s height – and I’ve been bugging her to make me one since then because I can’t hula hoop worth a flip with those things from the store, but the ones she makes I can do pretty well.

I figure hula hooping for a few minutes here and there throughout the day is going to provide some great bonus-calorie burn, plus I’ll be having fun and relieving stress. Win-win.

I’m trying to ignore the fact that I feel like I’m coming down with a cold or something. I started taking Vitamin C and D early last week when the kids were sniffling and coughing. The “experts” say it doesn’t help, but it seems to have helped me ward off colds in the past and I figure it certainly can’t hurt.

Well, I kept forgetting to take them once we got busy with Christmas fun and I was around a lot of sniffling, coughing folks. I’m taking them again now and hoping it’s not too late.

If I do get sick, it will be the first time, with the exception of feeling a little run down here and there, since I changed my lifestyle. It’s amazing how many things are affected by getting exercise, drinking lots of water, and eating right.

Do you think taking supplements helps ward off a cold? Did you have a good Christmas? How did the scale treat you this week?

Do or do not. There is no try.

11 comments:

  1. Oh - the scale treated me fairly - I overate and the number jumped!  Darn how that happens.  But, I'm back on track and glad our celebrations are over:) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not looking good for me either, but like you, I'm not going to get down about it. My parents were here from the 22nd to the 26th, and we had a marvelous time! The kids wanted cookies, and lasagne, cupcakes and cinnamom rolls with the chili. I'm really proud of myself for the portion control that I exercised. It would never have been that way in the past. So I think exercising portion control, and getting right back to healthy eating and exercising is a good thing for me to accomplish. It will boost my confindence in my new lifestyle, and show me that I am not the person I used to be who would binge and give up on being healthy alltogether! Today I'm 3 pounds from where I wanted to be on tomorrow's weigh in. If I can just be one more pound down, that will be a hold, and I'm going to celebrate being able to hold on not only Thanksgiving, but Christmas as well!!

    I'm glad you were able to surprsie the kids! This Christmas was SUPER exciting for us too! We got all 4 kids every gift on their wishlists, plus one gift each that they REALLY wanted, and didn't think they would get! It was great! We made my mom and dad t-shirts with the kids' footprint and handprints on them. My husband and my dad surprised me with the only thing I wanted. I told them not to get me anything, because the only thing I wanted was too expensive for anyone to get. They split the cost, and brought it in after all the other presents were opened and we were cleaning up. I cried! It's a beautiful 3 1/2 ft tall jewlery armiore!! Wonderful, wonderful Christmas for us! Best one in years!

    I use vitamin C when others are sick, or I feel like I might be getting sick too. I think it helps, so I'm ignoring the experts. They change their minds all the time anyway. ;) Like you, I haven't really been sick either since I started my healthy lifestyle. The kids and hubby have been sick several times, and I never got it. It is amazing, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, Karen. Christmas is worse than Thanksgiving, as far as battling temptation goes. Thanksgiving is just one day; Christmas seems to last at least a week and everyone wants to make all kinds of cookies, candies, and desserts. I'll be glad to get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great attitude on the healthy lifestyle, Kristina! That's exactly it! I think that occasional indulgences, coupled with reasonable portion control and some physical activity are part of a healthy *lifestyle* not just a temporary change like a diet. That's the way to be successful. Great job! Don't stress, no matter what the scale says tomorrow. You've got this!
    Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful Christmas.

    Off to take my Vitamin C and D...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on not gaining much weight over the holidays! I started a diet/exercise program right after Thanksgiving, lost some weight, gained a little back over XMas, and am now back on track with my diet and exercise.

    Yes, I think supplements help ward off colds.  Have you tried echinacea to help with the cold? A little zinc is good for colds too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot of people say echinacea is good, but I've never tried it. I'll have to get some. I'm feeling less achy today after a good night's sleep, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to fight this thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alas, a gain for me as well -- 1.4 pounds. Not unexpected but annoying all the same. :) I didn't really overeat, but I did eat things that are richer and sweeter than my usual fare. And just as importantly, I didn't have time to exercise. I've been back to my normal routine since Monday, so I'm planning to take at least a pound of that off on the next weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fair plan to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I woke up early, because I drank a bunch of water right before bed... :P On my way back to bed, I weighed in, and it was scary. But when I got up at the regular time I weighed 190.4 a hold. So I decided to do a short workout on the Wii, and I weighed in again at 190 even. So, that's what I wrote down. That's not cheating, right?! Haha. Seriously though, I have a hard time getting back on track to eating right after having a bunch of sugar and processed foods, so I think the .4 loss will do me good mentally. I have lots of work to do, since I need to be at 186 next Thursday to be on track for my birthday goal. The loss mentally tells me that all is not lost and I stand a chance of making it.

    I hope your week goes well, and that you are feeling better today, and not sick!! ~Kristi~

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not cheating in my book. ;-) I hope you have a great weight-loss week this week so you can be on track for your goal.

    Thanks for asking about me. I'm not full-fledged sick, but I don't feel great either. I'm definitely still in the "trying valiantly to fight it off" stage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job with your weight these holidays!

    I don't dare step on the scale for fear I'll alter my healthy eating habits to very low calorie ones.  Been there, done that, and it's not good for me.  But I have managed to keep up my healthy lifestylethese holidays and that works for me.

    Another thing to help ward off colds: raw garlic.  I just chop a few cloves up finely and swallow it.  My kids chew it plain. My husband puts slices on  tomato and cheese.  However we eat it, it makes a huge difference.  On top of that, it keeps us at home (due to the smell) and that seems to make a difference too.

    Happy new year to you and yours.

    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.