Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: Not Surprised

Can you believe it’s Wednesday again? Where are the weeks going? Are you ready for your weekly dose of accountability?

You know, I really thought I’d be at my goal weight by now. I think I’ve just about thrown any projected goal weight date out the window. The last few pounds are proving much more difficult to get rid of than the first 60 or 70 pounds, which I thought would be so hard.

This week, unfortunately, was no surprise to me. I had a hard week last week. My workouts were off and my eating was definitely pushing the envelope. I’m not sure why it was so hard, but I knew I would not be surprised by a gain.

I wasn’t surprised that I gained, but I was a little surprised at how much. I was expecting maybe a pound, but I’m actually up almost 2 pounds, with a gain of 1.8 pounds.

I refuse to stress over it, though, or let it get me down. Now that I am a runner, it’s no surprise that I would use the old, familiar running analogy: my weight-loss journey is a marathon, not a sprint.

Of course there are going to be some off weeks. As long as they don’t become off months, I’ll be okay. I know I’ve just got to get back on track this week and buckle down. As I’ve said many times before, the only way I’ll fail is if I quit and I’m not quitting.

It occurred to me last week that because of the way I’ve been making changes – slowly and steadily – and the fact that my tastes, lifestyle, and habits truly have changed, I firmly believe that I can maintain my weight-loss and my new, healthy lifestyle.

For that reason, I refuse to let one back week bring me down, stress me, or make me feel defeated. I’m in this thing for life. I have changed my eating habits and discovered an active lifestyle that I love. There is no going back.

What about you? How did you do on the scale this week? How are you feeling about the changes you’ve made?

Do or do not. There is no try. 

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kris, You are an inspiration! I have been trying to lose 60 lbs forever now.
    I just got a pedometer. I'm challenging myself to walk 10,000 steps per day. I'm a stay at home mom too, so its eye-opening how little I walk through out our normal  days. Anyway, 2 days down - the rest of my life to go!
    I love your Never Give Up Attitude!  And your honesty of how difficult the journey can be.

    http://sherrysbeesnest.blogspot.com/p/fitness-journal.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy with my weigh-in this week even though my loss was minimal, less than a pound. It came after a pretty rough week so I count it as a victory. Every little bit helps. You have such a good attitude! That's what makes you so successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pedometer is an excellent idea. I did mean to mention in my post -- and completely forgot -- that part of the problem may be that I've been much more sedentary the last week or so. Between learning to crochet, playing Words with Friends, and reading The Hunger Games, I haven't been moving much. I did read while riding the spin bike one day, so that helped some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's it funny how happy those small loses can make us when it's been a rough week. I'd have felt the same this week. Congrats! Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain. I had a massive gain last week that was really disheartening. But I'm thrilled to report that I lost 2.8 pounds this week! Not quite enough to wipe out that gain, but it's a good start.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.