Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review: Krill Oil from Everest Nutrition

A few weeks ago, Brian and I both went for our annual health risk assessment. We both (for a change!) are in excellent health. However, there was one area in which we both needed to improve – our high density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good” cholesterol, levels were a bit low. We were told that one way to increase our HDL level was to consume more Omega-3 fatty acids – the kind found in fish and grass-fed beef.

Our family began eating grass-fed beef a year or so ago, so that’s probably one reason that our HDL levels weren’t any lower. We eat fish, but not enough. So, we started looking into supplements.

We started with flax seed oil tablets because I’d heard such horrible things about fish oil being nasty-tasting and producing those lovely “fish-burps.” Flax seed oil doesn’t have those problems, but, I found out, it also doesn’t have DHA, one of the important omega-3 fatty acids.

Your body can, from what I read, produce DHA when taking flax seed oil, but the process is inefficient and not as good for you as getting the DHA directly from your omega-3 source.

IMG_4571

So, I was happy to take the opportunity to try Krill Oil when it was offered me by the folks at KrillOil.com. Both Brian and I received a 30 day supply to try. What is krill oil, you ask?

Krill oil is the oil harvested from Antarctic krill, a shrimp-like crustacean that lives below the ocean. – Everest Nutrition

Some of the reported benefits of krill oil include (and I have no idea whether or not these statements have been proven by the FDA, but they have been supported by clinical testing):

  • Lowering “bad” cholesterol and raising “good” cholestorol
  • Less menstrual pain and irritability
  • Reduced inflammation
  • Increased brain function, including improved concentration and focus
  • Improvement in the texture of hair, skin, and nails

Now, of course, Brian and I didn’t really notice any of these benefits in the 30 days we used the krill oil. Although I have noticed that my skin isn’t as dry as it typically is this time of year, but that could be because I’m drinking tons of water and keeping better hydrated as well.

One thing we did notice was that the capsules don’t produce “fish burps.” Brian didn’t think the tasted bad at all. I thought they tasted a little “fishy” when I put them in my mouth, but it wasn’t horrible. I just learned to swallow quickly.

I found that the taste was stronger when the capsule were stored in the fridge, as recommended, rather than on the counter like I did the first couple of days until I noticed the note about storing them in the fridge. I didn’t notice the fishy taste when they were room temperature.

Next year, when we have our HRA appointment, I hope to be able to report that my HDL levels – along with my weight – are in the completely normal range.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I also received monetary compensation for the time invested in writing the review. The opinions expressed are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.

Do or do not. There is no try.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting!  They offered me a sample too but I declined since I'm already on cholesterol meds.  I'll be curious to see how your numbers change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been taking Carlson's cod liver oil off and on for years. Recently my HDL levels were low, as well, so I started taking it again. It is much less expensive than capsules and it actually tastes just fine. and I don't even like fish. I don't have "fish burps" either. Maybe it helps that I take it right before bed? I chase it with OJ, too. Barlean's makes a "lemon swirl" flavor of CLO and seriously, it tastes like lemon pudding. My girls liked it for a while and then refused to take it because it was too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been taking Carlson's cod liver oil off and on for years. Recently my HDL levels were low, as well, so I started taking it again. It is much less expensive than capsules and it actually tastes just fine. and I don't even like fish. I don't have "fish burps" either. Maybe it helps that I take it right before bed? I chase it with OJ, too. Barlean's makes a "lemon swirl" flavor of CLO and seriously, it tastes like lemon pudding. My girls liked it for a while and then refused to take it because it was too sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.