Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: Ugh!

Welcome to another Weekly Weigh-In! I was just looking at the calendar. I’m quickly approaching the two year anniversary of the beginning of this life-changing transformation. That’s exciting!

Yes, that means it’s going to take me over two years to reach my goal weight, but, more importantly, it means that I’ve maintained this lifestyle for two years.

I can honestly say that I have completely changed the way I eat and move in the last two years. My mindset is completely different. I was just telling Brian last night (while watching The Biggest Loser) that last year my thought for Thanksgiving was that I just wanted to enjoy my favorites – in moderation – but basically forget about weight-loss for that day and enjoy.

CIMG0042

This year, I really, truly want to enjoy some of my new, healthier favorites. The thought of putting all that fattening junk in my mouth is off-putting. I hope my extended family isn’t too disappointed that healthier options will be replacing some of the the fattening, calorie-laden goodies that I’ve brought in years past.

And, I'm totally excited about the 5 mile run I'm doing Thanksgiving morning. What a great way to start the day! (Even more than that, I’m excited about running my first half-marathon this coming Saturday!)

Kris and Brian

I’ll confess that I was feeling pretty frustrated when I saw the scale yesterday. I peeked at the scale Sunday morning and saw 131 – a number I haven’t seen in years. I was feeling excited and hopeful after a couple of weeks of less-than-impressive weigh-ins.

Then, I got on the scale Tuesday morning.

I gained two-tenths of a pound. At this point in the game, I really consider that normal fluctuation, rather than a gain. It’s certainly not a loss, though. It’s frustrating. I’m ready to be at my goal weight. I’m ready to start learning to maintain. I’m ready to celebrate.

Don’t get me wrong. I am so happy to be where I am rather than where I was. I’m so much healthier and happier. I’d rather stay where I am forever than go back to where I was.

However, I've been at this for nearly 2 years. I thought I would reach my goal weight that first year. Then, I thought surely by the second year mark. Now, I know there's no way I'm going to hit it by the 2 year anniversary.

I have to remind myself, though, that when I did Weight Watchers, forever ago, there was a lady who had lost a lot of weight. She wasn't at her goal weight yet, but she was getting there. She wouldn't tell people how long she'd been at it. Basically, she said people get too caught up on how long it's taking to lose the weight, rather than being focused on the process of changing their lives.

She’s right and so is Jill, who gave me an incredible pep talk. It doesn’t matter how long it takes. I have – and still am in the process of – changed my life. This isn’t a temporary thing, so I’m not going to stress if it takes a few more weeks or months to lose that last 7 pounds. Heck, when I started, I never dreamed I’d ever see being within 7 pounds of my goal weight!

Of course, I do need to get busy. I do need to beat Jill at our challenge. :)

How did you do on the scale this week?

Do or do not. There is no try.


 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kris,
    You're doing great and you look great!  Keep up that positive attitude and you'll be there before you know it.  By the way, that purple shirt is a really good color on you. Pretty picture!  Thanks for the continued motivation.  After a couple of weeks of slacking off of exercise, I've exercised 2 out of 3 days so far this week.  Getting back on track, still trying to lose my last several pounds to get to my goal.  Thanks for being here to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... support or smack talk?? :)  You know how I feel- I want us to tie!  And I am glad we have each other to talk to about this!  It has made such a huge difference for me!  I am going to hold you to that lunch and a bike ride!!!

    You said something I feel so strongly....I'd rather stay where I am forever than go back to where I was.  So true!  Also- I never dreamed of being 10 pounds, let alone 5 of my goal weight!  YES- (and here comes the smack talk) I lost another pound.  I am 5 from winning... I mean from goal!!! 

    We can do this!  We will do this!  We have some challenges ahead with the holidays approaching- but we are successes because we just keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fluctuations stink. They really do. But better than a gain!

    I lost 1.4 pounds this week. I had a rough October, but I'm moving back into the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being down another pound! That's great! You definitely thrive on competition. ;-) I have not conceded this race yet, though. Be prepared for a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go on the workout consistency!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how true!  We do tend to get too caught up in the time period when it really is about the rest of our lives.  Thanks for that great reminder!  And I can't wait to hear about Saturday's race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think what you have done is incredible! Completely inspiring. Your post today reminded me of something my friend said the other day, which was that she always gains 5lbs when she is in training mode. I don't know if you have considered that a possibility, that you might be holding on to weight as you ramp up training for your half, but maybe something to think about?
    I was excited to see my lowest number yet on the scale yesterday. Of course, I wish the numbers meant my body was looking how i'd hoped it would at this weight. Just going to have to keep working at it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.