Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: Welcome, Fit Stanley

I’m still here. If you read my homeschool blog, you know that I lost a very dear friend suddenly and unexpectedly last week. It’s been a rough week, emotionally and I took some time off to be with my family and grieve with my friend’s family.

It feels kind of odd to be jumping back into blogging now, but I appreciate doing something that feels normal. I took a 6 mile run yesterday, sans iPod, which proved to be very cathartic. It gave me some much-needed time to think and pray.

With that said, welcome to another Weekly Weigh-In. How did you do this week? Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much. I think I missed more workouts than I made last week, with everything that was going on, and my eating habits were out of whack.

I am so thankful for a wonderfully thoughtful friend who brought my family a meal last Thursday. Not only did she take time out of her day to make my day easier, but she brought a delicious, healthy taco soup with light sour cream and reduced-fat cheese. How completely thoughtful is that?

I had that soup for two dinners and two or three lunches. It was so appreciated – and yummy! It was also probably a big part of why I managed to lose 2 pounds in spite of several missed workouts.

I would also like to introduce you to a special guest I’ve got visiting this week.

IMG_4266

Fit Stanley was sent my way by Lisa of Fat Chick Fed Up. I was so excited to host him because the kids and I used to do Flat Travelers in our homeschool and I always wound up doing the bulk of the project – and really enjoyed it. Now, I can have all the fun myself.

Fit Stanley arrived on Monday. After the emotionally exhausting day we’d had, we all decided to just relax and enjoy some family time together with one of our family’s favorite board games, Aggravation.

IMG_4271

Tuesday, Fit Stanley roused me out of bed bright and early finally managed to push me out of bed before noon to head out on a 6 mile run. He’s helping me train for my first half marathon, which I’ll be running on November 12.

IMG_4272

We’re ready to go.

IMG_4282

After my standard bowl of Kashi cereal, we took off.

IMG_4283

It was a good run. I finished just a little less than a minute and a half slower than I wanted to. Guess I got side-tracked with thinking and praying and got off my pace. I’m okay with that.

IMG_4286

Fit Stanley helped me get lunch together – my new favorite, a pasta bowl. After some most excellent sweet tea, I’m thinking Fit Stanley may never want to leave the South again.

IMG_4287

After lunch, we took off for a local nature park. It was too beautiful a day to sit inside doing bookwork. I wasn’t sure how many more gorgeous fall days we’ll get before cold weather sets in and I’ve been putting off a nature study day for weeks. If there’s anything I learned from Christina’s loss last week, it’s that I want to take time to truly, deeply enjoy my family, so off we went.

IMG_4295

We had a wonderful time. Hopefully, Fit Stanley can enjoy some more great active family fun while he’s visiting.

So, what about you? How did your weigh-in go?

Do or do not. There is no try.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome Fit Stanley!  I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures!! Way to go on your 2 pounds.  We sure know how to lose weight don't we!?  We just have to keep our mojo going!!!  Hopefully Fit Stanley will help you with that for this week!  I am down .2 today.  I am not sure if it is a small loss as I had a big loss last week or because of TOM.  Either way it was better than a gain! 
    I wanted to tell you again how sorry I am for the loss of your friend.  When something like that happens it really causes us to re-prioritize things.  It makes us think about what is really important to us.  It makes us hug our kids a little tighter and be a bit more forgiving of the things that "annoy" us.  Perhaps we see that we may have been taking some things for granted.  These are all good things to be thinking about.  It is just so sad and unfortunate that it takes something so tragic to make that happen.  My thoughts are with you and your friends family at this very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fit Stanley looks like a good work out buddy. :p

    I lost the pound I gained last week, to take me back to where I was 2 weeks ago.  Pressing on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I am all too familiar with that sort of loss right now. :(

    I gained .6 pounds. I'll do better next week. Congratulations on your -2 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly. It is sad that it takes such a tragedy to wake us up.

    Congrats on your loss. Slow and steady and all that stuff. So I've lost track. Where are we now? I'm something like 7.2 lbs away from goal weight. You?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the loss you've experienced. It's so difficult.

    Hey, 0.6 is more fluctuation than gain, right? Here's to a good loss next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen@waistingtimeOctober 26, 2011 at 2:15 PM

    Yeah for Stanley!  I had a nice time with him last month, myself. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a tight race.  I have 7 to go!!  Maybe we can tie!  That really would be the best case scenario! But shhhhh you didn't hear that from me!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be fun. ;-) That tight race comment got me, though. After being a bit lax on my eating today, I need to crack down again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.