Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: Surprise!

Happy Wednesday! Ready for another weigh-in? Well, ready or not, it’s time to hold yourself accountable.

I was fully prepared to own up to my mistakes today. If you recall, I fully expected to gain this week. From a date night at Five Guys Burgers and Fries (I’m starting to think that I’d have done well not to have discovered that place a couple of weeks ago) to a girls’ night out at Steak ‘n Shake with my daughters to not one, not two, but three missed workouts, I was prepared for the worst.

Imagine my complete and total surprise when I got on the scale today and discovered that I’d lost 1.4 pounds! I’m thinking maybe it was one of those rare times when I so totally confused my body, it didn’t know what to do, so it let go of some weight.

Whatever it was, I’ll take it. I even weighed twice, thinking it must be a mistake, but I got the same weight both times.

I commented on Facebook that maybe I should take myself out for greasy burgers more often. Jill suggested that I do just that…and reminded me not to forget about the fries. Don’t think I’m going to make this little competition that easy, Jill. I ran 6 miles this morning and had a great day, food-wise. I’m ready to lose this last 9 pounds before Thanksgiving!

IMG_4022

This week, in her Weight Loss Wednesdays post, Alicia asks if there was a moment when you realized that you had made this weight-loss thing a lifestyle change or if you still struggle to make the necessary changes.

Honestly, I think there will always be times of struggle. I think the difference is that, with a lifestyle change, the consistency of the good choices outweighs the struggles. Before I began my new lifestyle, I consistently made bad choices with the occasional good choice thrown in. Now, I consistently make good choices, with the occasional struggle thrown in.

I think the realization that this has become a lifestyle change has come in little bursts of recognition, rather than in one big, defining moment. Like, when I realize that I’m craving fruit, rather than some type of junk food. Or when I realize that I need to quit wasting dip ingredients – even healthy dip – and just make it for special occasions, rather than keeping it on hand only to wind up throwing it out because it’s sat in the fridge too long.

IMG_3973

Sometimes it’s in moments when my husband offers to buy me a milkshake (a rarity) and I turn it down. Or each week when I check out at the grocery story and unload two or three bags worth of produce from my cart onto the conveyor, followed by just a handful of convenience foods. Or when my healthy lunch looks and sounds better than some other junk that I could be having.

Was there a particular moment when you realized that you had passed the threshold from “diet” to “lifestyle” change or are you still struggling with change? Post about it and link up to Weight Loss Wednesday.

Do or do not. There is no try.

17 comments:

  1. Great job Kris!  I am so proud of us!   We are so similar it is eerie!  My eating history seems just like yours.  A lot of bad food choices, sprinkled with an occasional green thing on my plate.  Now I mostly make good choices and prefer those good choices with days that I choose to eat an indulgence or two.  Sometimes I fall off the wagon, but I usually get back to it within a short period of time.  Another way we are similar is our weight loss this week!!!  I am down 1.2 from last Wednesday!  I have 9.4 pounds to go!  By the way..... I like Bath and Body works hand soaps and lotions!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your loss this week!  I am transforming from diet to lifestyle, even as we speak.  My new approach is to try to lose weight without deprivation and while enjoying treats in moderation.  So far it's working.  I have to say, even though it is a slower process this way, I feel like I'm so much happier than when I'm on a "diet" and I think the weight loss will be lasting because of it.  (http://weighward.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found your blog through another weight loss blog.  My sister and I started again about 3 weeks and we started a facebook page and a blog to help us stay accountable! We liked you on facebook..Please check us out as well.  You can find us at To Be Revealed on Facebook!! Thanks! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I'm at the lifestyle change yet but I think I'm partly there. I made the big change 2 months ago for a medical reason and it wasn't super hard. I struggled alot with craving junk food/fast food at first but then it just became life. I eat mostly super strict during the week & then weekends are my time where I allow myself to go out to eat and not pick the healthiest option. It works for me now but I know eventually it won't. It was weird because I went to the doctor to check up on how I was doing and she was so surprised by my weight loss & exercise level. She asked me "do you think you can do this for the rest of your life?" & it threw me for a loop. All of a sudden I started struggling really bad and not having the strength to resist as much. I still lost 1 lb & I was angry with myself but also didn't think I deserved that pound because I felt I didn't earn. It was also a depressed week which I know didn't help. I completely took off Fri-Sunday (though I still would grab a veggie here or there). On monday I was struggling at lunch (chilis) and a light bulb came on. This is my life, MY life, and it's my responsiblity. I actually got excited about picking the healtiest option. I looked forward to my salad & green chile soup. I admit, it was hard yesterday (girl's lunch) to watch the other 2 ladies have chicken crispers & crispy chicken tacos but I just focused on my food. It makes me feel good that I'm actually making a change.
    I think my doctor pointing out that this is a lifestyle change scared me. That I will have to eat like this for the rest of my life. Then realizing this is my life & I need to live it right remotivated me. I need to be excited about eating right instead of dreading it.
    Sorry for the novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't apologize; I enjoyed reading your comment. I think that was a huge, key moment you had -- realizing that this is your life and your responsibility. It's about much more than a momentary indulgence -- it's about your life and your health.

    I read a verse in Romans a couple of weeks ago about sin -- and gluttony is a sin, as much as we try to gloss it over. "What benefit did you reap at the time from the things you are now ashamed of?" Romans 6:21. I was thinking that I wish I could remember to ask myself, each time I was tempted to sin, if the momentary benefit was going to be worth the guilt later.

    When I was obese, I was totally and completely ashamed of myself and my weight. There is no way that guilt and shame was worth the momentary pleasure of overindulging in unhealthy, calorie-laden foods. When you think about it that way, it can actually be fun trying to choose the healthiest options. Nowadays, I try to follow an 80/20 plan -- 80% healthy, nutrient dense foods and 20% not-so-healthy indulgences. It's all about moderation and making good choices consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was even this week, and it was a week where I expected a gain, so I'm good with that. Way to go with your weight loss surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is going to be fun. You're very good at the smack talk. ;-) It doesn't hurt that we're both at almost exactly the same place in our weight-loss. Yay on your loss! Let's see...I enjoy reading and I'm a big fan of Twilight, Edward in particular. Oh, and I haven't read The Help yet, but I want to. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's the way to go, Julie. A diet is a temporary fix that most people see as something that will end, at some point. In order to maintain weight-loss and be healthy for life, we have to make permanent changes. Nobody is going to permanently deprive themselves of treats. It's all about moderation and consistency in making good choices. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've started noticing the change in my grocery cart too.  It feels good to know that I am buying mostly produce...and it's getting eaten.  That is a big change.  I have realized that there will always be a struggle.  But some weeks it's harder to accept that.  Thanks for always being a great encourager!  And thanks for linking up to WLWed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen@waistingtimeOctober 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

    This is a thought-provoking question for me.  I have certainly changed my thinking over the past couple of years and really implemented some changes.  But maybe it will always be a struggle for me.  To be honest. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think there is a lot of truth in that bit of honesty...for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came upon your blog from a link from The Homeschool Classroom, I am just beginning my journey to loose weight.  I like so many have tried and failed.  So I would liek to get in on this weekly accountability.   I started about 6 weeks ago going to the gym 2 times a week for spinning, and had lost almost 4 lbs.  I decided to add strength training to my routine.  So I have done that one day a week for two weeks.  I was excited to see the weight come off.  I weighed in this morning and gained 6 lbs!  So it this normal when you start weights?  I got frustrated and ate half a bag of chocolate chips!  So I need to get back to good choices.  Here's to a new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Nikki. I'm so glad you stopped by. Congratulations on taking the first steps to a healthier lifestyle. Isn't spinning great? It will definitely kick your butt...in a good way. Some weight fluctuation is normal. How after are you weighing? I weigh once a week (and sometimes take a sneak peak about mid-week). More than that can lead to obsession and less doesn't keep me as accountable as I need to be.

    Are you tracking your food/calorie intake? Often when we increase our activity level, our appetite goes up and we may be taking in more calories than we realize.

    I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been weighing about 2 to 3 times a week.  I guess that is a little obsessive.  I will try just doing the once a week weigh in.  I have not been keeping track of calories.  That has just caused me much frustration in the past.  But I think I will have to start again.  Once I started weights I was hungry more often.  So that probably added to my weight gain.  Thanks for the support.  Do you do a Wednesday Weigh in every week? 

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I do. Try My Fitness Pal (.com) for tracking calories and workouts. I've posted about it before. It's great and relatively easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just ran accross your blog.  enjoyed a bit of reading!  Wish I had more time to read so I could continue to be motivated by you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by, Camille.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.