Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Incentive

Sometimes it doesn’t take much to stoke the fires of motivation again. Sometimes, it’s a friendly challenge issued by a friend. Sometimes, it’s a motivational read.

Biggest Loser book

Sometimes, it’s new workout gear made even better by the fact that it was won, rather than purchased.

IMG_4030

Sometimes, it’s a combination of all three.

When I step on the scale today, I fully expect to see a gain. Last week was just that kind of week. My motivation was lagging and I wasn’t watching my food choices as carefully as I should have, plus I missed a couple of workouts.

However, this is a new week. When you’re in this weight-loss thing for the long haul, I think it’s inevitable that your motivation is going to wax and wane. As long as you don’t get totally off-track or quit, I don’t think that’s the end of the world.

But, there comes a time to get serious about getting back on track. This is that time for me. I was serious about it this summer and lost 15 pounds. I’ve gained about 4 of that back. I don’t want the two-year anniversary of the beginning of this journey to roll around and still find me saying that I’m “almost” at my goal weight.

That means I’ve got until November 23 to get rid of this last 10 or so pounds. I’ll be honest, at this point that sounds a bit daunting. That’s 2 pounds a week, which hasn’t been happening for me consistently lately. I’m going to give it my best shot, though.

I’m counting on y’all to hold me accountable. I wouldn’t have made it this far without a great support system, which includes each of you. Anybody with me for another big push to finally reach the end of Phase I of the journey and start on Phase II, maintenance? I’ve never gotten that far before. It’s uncharted territory, but I’m so looking forward to it!

Do or do not. There is no try.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kris,

    I need this push too.  We went on vacation (got tons of exercise walking, hiking etc but also ate lots of great food) then came back and immediately tried to get up to speed with school which has kind of thrown me for a loop.  Now I'm struggling to regain my motivation and to get back on track with exercise and to not put sweet stuff in my mouth every time I feel the least bit emotional.  I probably have more than 10 pounds left to go until my ultimate weight goal, but I'd be happy to be down 10 by Thanksgiving and mostly to my goal.  Then I'd just have to focus on maintaining through the holidays and get ready for a final push in the New Year to hit my goal by my 2 year mark at the beginning of February.  So, I'm with you guys!  You and Jill have been a great motivation to me and I'll try to be a support to you both too.  Here's to getting back on track with eating, exercise, and logging stuff on MFP.  You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right- there comes a time to get serous and get back on track!  NOW is the time.  I am so thankful for you and that you accepted my friendly challenge!  When I lose my 10 pounds (hopefully first) it will be my ultimate goal weight which I have not been able to reach.  So when we do this- we will enter maintenance together too- an area I am actually afraid of.  I know how to lose weight.  I am not quite sure how to maintain that loss.  Here we go...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am both excited and a little scared about maintenance. I've never made it that far. I'm so glad you issued the friendly challenge. I think it will be great for both of us. Oh, and I did NOT gain this week! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a great plan, Christine! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be happy to push along with / beside you.  I have another five or six to go before Thanksgiving as well.  Then we can all face the new challenge of maintaining through the holidays.  I believe in us.  We can do it.  Look how far we've all come already. Maintaining will totally be a new challenge for me.  I get way to slack once I get to my goal.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maintaining during the holidays will be a challenge in itself, won't it? Let's get there so we'll be ready for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.