Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: Not Stressing

It’s Weekly Weigh-In time again! I hope the scale has been your friend this week.

That was not the case for me, but I am not stressing it this week. I gained 1.2 pounds, but, I feel certain that most of that gain is water weight of the hormonal variety.

I love what Just Jill had to say about the scale this week. I’m not to the point of just weighing once a month (though maybe I should, then I really wouldn’t stress about the normal fluctuations).

This week, Alicia asks, “Have you had any unexpected benefits of your weight-loss journey?

I guess one of the biggest unexpected benefits is that my entire family is eating better and discovering foods that we didn’t know we liked. I spend the majority of my grocery money in the produce department now and there is always fruit in the house.

Some of our new favorites are:

  • Fresh pineapple (Yum!)
  • Cherries
  • Hummus
  • Red pepper
  • Jicama (I’m the only one who likes it, but it’s one of my favorites.)
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Grilled corn
  • Roasted broccoli and/or cauliflower
  • Roasted asparagus
  • Steamed green beans
  • Quinoa

What about you? What unexpected benefits have you discovered? Post about them and link up with Weight-Loss Wednesday…but, before you go, be sure to let me know how your weigh-in went this week!

I’m also participating in What I Ate Wednesday this week because I always enjoy reading other people’s posts. My recap is from last Friday because it’s the one day I remembered to take the most pictures.

I just had quick breakfast of cottage cheese and strawberries before my run. Cottage cheese is another new favorite for me. I used to be able to eat it with certain things, but I wasn’t crazy about it. Now, I love it!

IMG_3470

For lunch, it was chicken fajitas (with some light sour cream and homemade guacamole) with a side of black beans and my beloved sweet tea. I used to guzzle it all day. Now, I savor it at lunch and dinner.

IMG_3498

Supper isn’t pictured because I’d forgotten by then, but it must have been Mexican day. We had tacos, made with grass-fed beef and topped with refried beans, a little cheese, sour cream, homemade Pico de Gallo, homemade guacamole, and lettuce. Yum!

What yummy goodness have you enjoyed recently? Honestly, I would have eaten healthier sooner if I’d known healthy could taste so good.

Do or do not. There is no try.

15 comments:

  1. I love that you keep the positive and healthy perspective to the scale. That is so awesome and not something many could do. So many things can make it fluctuate though so kudos on remembering that. :) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I would never be able to weight just once a month.  In fact, I weight every day - but I only record it once a week.  I think I hold myself a little more accountable that way, though I dont stress over a little gain on any given day, as long as the number is down for the week.  I've manged to lose except for the week I was on vacation at the beach, and even then I only gained a half pound.  Maybe it's easier for me since I only have myself to worry about for meals.  

    I've lost 20 pounds since mid-may, and have about 12 more to go.  

    I don't eat anything exciting enough to take pictures of though.  

    And cottage cheese?  No way!!  :-o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the "recognition" Kris!  I am glad to hear that you are not stressing over the scale.  As you know,  I KNOW how hard that can be!  What I loved reading most today was that your family is eating better.  You are teaching your children life long healthy habits by example.  I know that must feel so good to you!  I know how much I want my daughter to live a life that is not focused on weight and food.  Not only are you an inspiration to me but to your family and friends!!!  (and the rest of the blogging world too)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Just Jill article. Thanks for sharing it!

    I'm down 1.5lbs this week!  148.5, the first sub-150 "official" weigh in! My goal today, at the end of the 12 week sprint, was to be halfway to my 20lb goal, at 148.  Close enough! 

    I'm planning on REALLY being at halfway next week, since my reward for getting there is a new pair of running shorts, and I neeeed some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Congrats on hitting that milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks, Jill! Yes, it does feel good to know that I'm possitively influening my kids. I don't ever want them to struggle with weight like I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping, once I hit goal weight and maintain for a little while, to move to only weighing once a month. I just don't want to be forever obsessed with the scale. We'll see.

    Congrats on your weight-loss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tina. I used to stess over it, but I'm just not anymore. I mean, if I start seeing crazy consistent gains, then, yeah, but that would just mean that I would need to look at my eating habits and acitivity level. I can't do anything about hormones. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes those hormones just make me RAWR! :)

    I'm down a pound this week. Finally! Not a gain, not a steady -- a loss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the benefits of fresh produce in my home! My kids are benefiting greatly from this as well....they eat fruits and veggies that most kids their age won't touch and I think that is a result of being exposed to so many varieties at this young age!! Keep up the great work, and the positive attitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your attitude is so great, Kris!  You're doing (and have done) such a good job keeping things in perspective all along.  I wish I could do that more.  I'm feeling really good this week though, as I finally have a noticable loss to report!  I am down more than a pound from my last recorded weigh-in (I think it's 1.2 pounds on MFP) and it's a new low for me as well as marking the 40 pounds lost (total) mark!  Actually I saw an even lower number on the scale early yesterday morning, but my official weigh in was today so that's what I'm going with.  I have to say I had a bad eating night last night as my hubby was gone and the kids talked me into making waffles for dinner.  I'd intended to just have eggs and fruit and a small, reasonable portion of a waffle (Belgian), but by the time I'd made all of their waffles, scarfed down my eggs and fruit, and waited for my turn to have a waffle (my four kiddoes were like a starving pack of dogs last night!), my small portion of waffle turned into nearly two waffles complete with Smart Balance spread and natural maple syrup.  Ugh.  Good thing I'd eaten pretty well the rest of the day.  Plan to eat well today, for sure!  Also, nearly didn't exercise this morning as my little guy woke up early, but I stayed in my workout clothes and later talked myself into doing 15 minutes of strength training and 15 minutes on the elliptical, so, yay! 

    Sorry for the book here, but I wanted to say that I've really enjoyed having this place to report to and to see how others are doing.  I'm so pleased for others when they are doing well (yay, Noodle and Erin!) and am right there with others when they have a week when they are struggling (I too have problems during those hormone-laden weeks, Kris).  I've been toying with the idea (for months now) of starting a blog just so I have somewhere to write out my journey (weightloss, homeschool, other) and also a place to connect with others besides the comment box on someone else's blog. Maybe it's time! 

    Thanks again for doing this, Kris.  It's been such a help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I know exactly what you mean about eating healthy tasting good!  I am loving roasting different veggies in my oven.  Oh so yummy!  Thanks for sharing!  And thanks for joining Weight Loss Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go ahead and write your book. ;-) I'm glad to provide a place for you to talk this all out. Of course, I'd come read your blog, too, if you decided to start one, so don't discount that as an option. I made a couple of poor choices yesterday myself, but I keep telling myself that one or two poor choices, or a bad day, doesn't mean giving up and throwing in the towel. It just means that we're human.

    Yay, on a good weight-loss this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I *love* roasted veggies! I've decided that there's no better way to cook a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.