Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Weekly Weigh-In: That’s What I’m Talking About!

It’s Weekly Weigh-In time! It’s your chance to face – and admit to someone else – what the results on the scale show this week. I want to celebrate with or commiserate with you, whichever the case may be.

I, for one, am extremely happy with my results this week. As you may recall, last week – with it’s Chinese food and pizza buffet – was a little discouraging. However, it appears that Brian’s friend was right and maybe the high sodium in those two meals caused me to retain water, because…

I lost 3.8 pounds this week!!

That puts me at an even 83 pounds lost and only 12 pounds away from my goal weight! Wow! When I started, I couldn’t have imagined being so close. I can’t even describe to you what it feels like to go from being morbidly obese to being only 12 pounds overweight.

Heck, lots of people are 12 pounds overweight. Enough, in fact, that people may not even think of me as being overweight when they see me now. Or, maybe they do. Twelve extra pounds on a short person seems to be multiplied. I don’t care, though. I know how far I’ve come…and it’s a great feeling.

Monday night, the kids and I went to watch my husband play ball. I wore a new t-shirt that’s fitted. It’s not terribly snug, but it’s not of the loose-and-comfy variety either. Turns out, it wasn’t a good choice for a hot, humid ball game.

Brianna offered to switch shirts with me. She was wearing a light, loose shirt and she knew the t-shirt I was wearing would fit her more loosely than it did me. I hesitated for a minute, having one of those old thoughts of, “Brianna’s shirt will never fit me.”

Then, I realized that Brianna’s shirt probably would fit me. And, she’d offered. And, I was hot and sweaty and the shirt was feeling really itchy. So, I took her up on her offer. We went into the restroom – which was air-conditioned, so we briefly considered the merits of just staying in there – and switched shirts.

Do you have any idea how cool it is to be able to share clothes with my sixteen-year-old daughter after nearly two decades of obesity? Wow! It’s an incredible feeling.

If you’re just starting on your weight-loss journey, don’t give up! It is indescribably worth it when you get so close to the right side of your weight-loss ticker. Oh, and in case you missed it yesterday, be sure to check out the weight-loss milestone badges that Honey, from Sunflower Schoolhouse, designed for us. They’re great!

This week, Alicia, from Confessions of a Snowflake, asked us to share Scripture verses that have been particularly meaningful to us in our weight-loss journey. I’ve got several – including one brand-new one – that I’d love to share with you.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. - Galatians 6:9

This one really speaks to me because it is so easy to become weary in doing good while losing weight – making good food choices, working out, not drinking a gallon of sweet tea a day. It’s hard after the initial excitement and enthusiasm wears off.

However, if we continue making good choices, we will reap a harvest of weight-loss at the proper time.

“Everything is permissible,” – but not everything is beneficial. – 1 Corinthians 10:23

I don’t like the idea of “good” foods and “bad” foods. I think that, psychologically, that sets you up for failure. As soon as you start thinking you can’t have something, that seems to be what you want above all else. If you don’t believe me, just tell your kid he or she can’t have or do something and see what happens.

I prefer to choose moderation. My sweet tea is permissible, but the one-and-a-quarter cups of sugar I put in a gallon make it not as beneficial. For that reason, I limit myself to two glasses a day, instead of an unlimited supply.

Doughnut holes are permissible, but not beneficial, so I limit them to extremely rare occasions – maybe once a year, because they also happen to be a trigger food for me and I have an extremely difficult time stopping once I’ve started eating them.

I love the one I shared last week in my Setting and Achieving Goals post:

“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?  For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’” – Luke 14:28-30

It goes along with what I heard on Dr. Oz this week. I just happened to have the TV on at the right time. He said that people who make a public commitment to lose weight lose, on average, 20% more weight than those who do not make a public commitment.

I knew my personality enough, back in November 2009, to know that I’m just that way. If I tell a bunch of people that I’m going to do something, I’m much more likely to actually follow through. That’s exactly the reason I started this blog and here I sit having achieved something I have never succeeded at before, despite many, many attempts.

Finally, I heard this one in church last week:

If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. – 2 Peter 2:20

Of course, we weren’t talking about weight-loss and I’m sure Peter wasn’t either, but I couldn’t help but think of the statistics that show that people who lose weight, then go back to their old habits, tend to gain back all of the weight they lost, plus some to go with it. I know that’s been the case with me every single time in the past.

I’ve heard – and recently in this article on maintaining weight-loss – that that’s because your fat cells are still there, ready and eager to go back to their old ways. That was confirmed in studies quoted in another article about losing being only the beginning of winning the weight-loss battle.

Because of the dangers of regaining the weight and being worse off than I was before, I’m going to have to post 2 Peter 2:20 on my fridge as I move into maintenance mode soon.

And, of course, I’ve already given my husband and children permission to use extreme, possibly even rude, measures if I start to slip up. They are under strict orders not to ever let me go back.

Because, honestly, I never want to see morbid obesity staring back at me from the mirror again.

This post is linked to Weight-loss Wednesday.

Do or do not. There is no try.

26 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!  That is AWESOME Kris!  Your hard work is paying off!  I totally agree with you on not labeling foods good or bad.  It is amazing how powerful our minds are and how that small change can affect our feelings about our lifestyle.  My daughter would want a piece of fuzz if I told her she couldn't have it! Ha!  Thank you for the articles on maintenance.  Weight loss is talked about a lot, but maintenance- not as much.  I look forward to following you along that phase too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :-)  I lost 3/4 of a pound last week.  Haven't done well this week though (I haven't tracked what I ate).  The horrible heat makes me want to do nothing - no moving, no tracking, nothing . . and I snack a lot! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kris!  That is fantastic!  I can just hear the excitement and pride in your post.  And some great quotes too - it's so helpful to hear how you (and others) think through your weight loss journey.  I've become much more mindful of so many things related to food and activity as I've been doing this, but have so far to go still to get to that "healthy lifestyle" place completely that will help me keep it up for the rest of my life.  Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you didn't lose ground last week like you feared. That 3.8 had to look fantastic on the scale!!

    I'm down half a pound. Not much this week, but I was out of town all weekend, and did lots of eating out, so I expected it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. marvelous_mad_madam_mimJuly 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM

    That is a huge lot to lose in a week!
    Regarding the sugar in tea thing.. I bet if you took a couple of teaspoons of sugar back out of your cup when you mix your tea, you wont notice the difference and you could do that week by week to and get used to less. 
    This is from someone who used to have 3 teaspoons of sugar in every cup and now has none.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jill! I look forward to being followed on the maintenance phase. I
    have a feeling that the accuntability will be just as important -- if not
    more so -- as it's been for losing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A loss is a loss...and that's nearly an entire tub of butter's worth of fat
    that you removed from your body last week. It's not too late to get back on
    track this week! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is definitely a lot of thought-changing that goes along with the
    process of losing weight. Successfully losing and maintaing that loss
    requires a whole new pattern of behaviors and thought processes...otherwise
    you're likely to wind up right back where you were. That's one reason why
    I'm such a big fan of losing weight slowly through behavior and lifestyle
    changes, rather than quickly through pills, supplements, or even surgeries.
    When you do those things, you're not required to go through the
    psychological process of losing weight that is more likely to bring lasting
    results.

    I know I've still got a lot to learn, but it's exciting to be able to share
    what I've learned so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it did look pretty exciting on the scale. :-) Half a pound is still a
    loss and I know how hard that can be when you're traveling. Hope you see big
    numbers next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I was really surprised by such a big number at this stage in the game.

    As far as my tea goes, I actually make it by the gallon -- sweet iced tea.
    I've cut back nearly half from what I used to drink and that's pretty much
    what I did -- cut back about a quarter of a cup or so every time I made it.
    I'm willing to go any less sweet at this point. That's my one indulgence.
    Unsweet tea is pointless to me (not said in a mean way, just being
    honest) -- I'd rather drink water. So, I have water most of the time and
    indulge in my sweet tea for lunch and dinner.

    I don't know. Maybe someday I'll get there, but I've been drinking sweet tea
    since I was a baby drinking it in my bottle. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your great loss!  How exciting.  I am looking forward to being able to move down to the "overweight" category soon.  You have worked hard and accomplished a big feat - thank you for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DY-NO-MITE!! That is fantastic! I quoted Galatians 6:9 to someone just a couple of days ago (in a different situation), and I never even thought about attributing it to MY situation. ::smacking forehead:: I ought to draw something and hang it up.

    My week wasn't great. I gained 1.6 pounds. HOWEVER ... I have been traveling since last Wednesday (got back very early this morning), and I wasn't able to get much exercise in. I was praying for any gain to be less than 2 pounds, so I'm not upset about it. I'm just back to digging into my exercise and calorie-counting ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had tears in my eyes...I'm sooo happy for you!!  Thanks for being so public with your weight loss journey - you are such an inspiration to me! 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Sarah. Yes, it hasn't been so long that I've forgotten (I'll
    probably never forget) what a big deal it was to go from being obese to just
    everyday average overweight. I'll celebrate with you when you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, that's the best way to handle it -- just get right back in the game.
    We'll be traveling soon and I was just talking to my daughter last night
    about how I was going to handle it. I'm thinking I'll make the best choices
    I can, food-wise, and try to get in as much movement as possible. It will
    just be me and my husband and he's really into his own personal fitness
    right now -- building muscle -- so it may be that we hit the gym at place
    we'll be staying and enjoy working out together. I know that might sound a
    little crazy, but it's really fun to be at this place at the same time and
    really enjoy being active together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, Clair. You don't know how much those kind of comments
    mean to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!!!!  That's quite a loss!  I love your insight into the last scripture.  I know exactly what you mean.  I'm going to start going through my closet and getting rid of clothes as I lose weight.  I don't want to go back.  Thanks for sharing today!  And thanks for joining Weight Loss Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got rid of clothes as I lost weight, too, Alicia. I went through a period
    where I had hardly anything in my closet -- but for a good reason for a
    change! I only kept one pair of pants -- the biggest size I ever wore. I've
    gotta have a prop for the "after" pictures, you know.

    Now, as I'm getting nearer my goal weight, I'm slowly starting to rebuild my
    wardrobe. I'm thinking that I'll still be able to wear most medium shirts
    (wow, it feels good to say that!) even when I lose another 12 pounds or so.
    I'm not stocking up on pants yet, since it appears that's where I'll be
    losing most of the rest of my weight. Soon, though...and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on a fantastic week!!!  It won't be long and you won't have anymore pounds to lose........just maintain!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm looking very forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm tardy, but present!  I will just rip the bandaid off and say I gained 1.5 lbs this week.  I have a bunch of excuses.  But none of them are good.  I will say that I took a peek at the scales Mon and I remembered my starting weight wrong (3 lbs heavier)...so I thought I'd lost 1.5 lbs & logged into MFP only to find I'd gained it!!!  Who does that?!

    I went back a couple of posts to the goals post and set a mini goal.  Our family vacay is in 3 weeks and I'd like to lose 8 lbs.  Which I realize is pretty lofty for a girl who doesn't even remember what she weighs.  :)  But I did 42 min on the elliptical today and made my veggie soup.  I'm ready!

    A great big congrats on your loss today!!!  That's really impressive, like you said, at this stage of the game.  You're like the energizer bunny.  And I've been like those green & gold batteries that come with the toys and only last like 3 minutes.  But now I'm energized and ready!  These 3 weeks are going to go by just the same, so I might as well use them to lose!  Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL Your sense of humor cracks me up. The green and gold batteries...I'm
    going to have to remember that. ;-) That stinks to think you've lost, only
    to find you've gained. Not fun at all. Here's hoping for a much better week
    this week. Yes, 8 lbs. in 3 weeks is a lofty goal -- for anyone -- but not
    impossible either. I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! Don't you just love the weeks when you have a big loss! It doesn't happen often enough but can be such an encouragement.

    I had a gain this week but kinda expected it. Sometimes it's hard to keep this journey a priority, especially when life gets busier than usual. But what's different this time for me is It has been easier to get right back on track instead of throwing in the towel. I want to give you credit for that because you really are such an inspiration. You always have a great attitude and an encouraging word. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's great, Sandy! Not the gain, because that's never fun, but the
    attitutude. As long as you don't quit, you're not defeated. Sometimes it is
    hard to stay motivated, but getting right back on track is so important. I
    love your attitude! And, thank you so much for the encouraging words. They
    mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  25. marvelous_mad_madam_mimJuly 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM

    Oh mum used to give us sweetened tea in our bottles! Even the scottie dog drank tea. I thought that was just something we brits did!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, that's hilarious about the dog! I've never given my dogs any tea...I
    guess I'm stingy and don't share well. lol My son stopped nursing shortly
    after I gave him his first taste of sweet tea in a sippy cup. Guess he
    figured I'd been holding out on him. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.