Monday, July 18, 2011

12-Week Sprint to the Finish: Week 8

12-Week Sprint 2

Wow! I can’t believe we’re beginning Week 8 of the 12-Week Sprint to the Finish.

If you read my Weekly Weigh-In post last week, you know that I had a much better result on the scale than the previous week. I’m sincerely hoping to hit 85 lbs. lost this week.

Note to self: No more Chinese food and pizza the day before a weigh-in. Not a good combination.

This past week, I began the weigh-lifting routine in The New Rules of Lifting for Women. As part of that, I also began drinking a protein shake on my lifting days.

I’ll be honest, while parts of the lifting (and I use that word loosely right now) were tougher than I’d expected – like doing real push-ups instead of “girl” push-ups – the first two weeks (weeks 1 and 2 are the same) aren’t especially challenging and I wasn’t sure I was really earning that protein shake.

I do, however, feel like I’m getting a decent full-body strength-training workout in and I think the program is designed to start all levels of fitness at the same place, so I’m planning on sticking with the program for at least a month to see how it goes.

I feel like I did fair with my nutrition goals this week, too. Even with the protein shake, I was able to stay within my calorie budget most days.

My goals for next week are: follow my half-marathon training plan (which I’m really excited about this week – it’s a rest week! I’ve got four 4-mile runs…no long runs.), three days of lifting following The New Rules of Lifting plan, log my food on My Fitness Pal and stay within my calorie budget each day.

What about you? What do your goals look like for the upcoming week?

My food log for last week:

7/11/2011

Breakfast: Low-fat cottage cheese w/peanut butter on whole wheat toast

Post-workout shake: Jillian Michaels’ whey protein (chocolate) w/half a banana and frozen strawberries

Lunch: “Caesar” salad: green leaf lettuce, reduced-fat feta, pepperoncini, cherry tomatoes, black olives and 1 Tbsp. Kraft Classic Caesar dressing w/sweet tea

Dinner: Grilled chicken w/spaghetti squash, pasta sauce, roasted squash, Texas toast and sweet tea.

7/12/2011

Breakfast: Flax cereal w/strawberries

Lunch: Broiled tilapia, roasted squash, small Caesar salad w/sweet tea

Dinner: Mexican pizza, sweet corn cake, sweet tea (Not an especially low-fat meal, so in moderation.)

Snacks: half of a Wendy’s small Frosty, roasted squash

7/13/2011

Breakfast: Low-fat cottage cheese w/peanut butter on whole wheat toast

Post-workout shake: Jillian Michaels’ whey protein (chocolate) w/frozen strawberries

Lunch: Grilled chicken w/Gina’s pasta salad and sweet tea

Dinner: Mexican restaurant – yum! Chicken salad: grilled chicken on a bed of lettuce w/tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and cheese. McD’s sweet tea afterward.

7/14/2011

Breakfast: Low-fat cottage cheese w/peanut butter on whole wheat toast

Lunch: Chicken quesadilla w/black beans, light sour cream, sweet tea

Dinner: Tacos, Coke

Snack: Birthday cake (Brian’s birthday)

7/15/2011

Breakfast: Low-fat cottage cheese w/peanut butter on whole wheat toast

Post-workout shake

Lunch: Turkey burger w/pita chips and hummus

Dinner: Pepperoni pizza (1 slice, medium), Caesar salad, sweet tea

Snack: Chocolate-covered frozen banana. Yum! (Half a banana, dipped in chocolate almond bark and frozen. Tastes just like an ice cream sundae.)

7/16/2011

Breakfast: Flax cereal w/strawberries

Lunch: Pepperoni pizza (1 slice, medium), Caesar salad, sweet tea

Dinner: Chicken chimichanga, light sour cream and guacamole, sweet corn cake and sweet tea.

7/17/2011

Breakfast: Fruit salad

Lunch: Tuna on sub roll w/pita chips and hummus

Dinner: Grilled chicken, grilled corn-on-the-cob, Gina’s Macaroni and tomato salad, Caesar salad and sweet tea.

Did you have anything new, different, and yummy to eat this week?

Do or do not. There is no try.

15 comments:

  1. Your menu looks great! Question: Where are you finding your spaghetti squash? I can't find it where I've been shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goals sound great this week!  I have noticed that I am loosening up on my healthy habits- so I am focusing on my foods this week.  I am starting back with The 17 Day Diet for the next 2 weeks to get myself back on track.  We can do this!  I look forward to hearing how things go this week for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a woe is me week. I'm stuck in a 4lb gain/lose cycle and it's annoying the crap outta me! Any kick start ideas?

    http://mykidsmydietmylife.blogspot.com/2011/07/sprint-to-finish-week-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been there and done that and it is so frustrating. Are you making
    sure that you're getting enough calories? It can sound counter-intuitive,
    but sometimes getting too few calories can actually cause your body's
    metabolism to slow down. I've heard Jillian Michaels say that when you hit a
    plateau, you should actually increase your calories to around
    1800-2400 for about three days, then go back down to your regular calorie
    budget.

    Often, when we hit those plateaus, we freak out and start cutting calories,
    which can make things worse. Another thing to try is to make sure you're
    varying your workout routine. Your body adapts qucikly and what might have
    been a great calorie burn a few weeks ago is something that your body may
    not have to work as hard to achieve now.

    Finally, another Jillian quote, "Keep doing the right things and eventually
    your body has to respond." Don't get so frustrated that you give up is the
    most important thing.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting back on track here after having a very frustrating week last week like Sandra.  I've been stuck again weight-wise and feeling so hungry all the time, but at the same time feeling extremely tired of counting my calories so closely and exercising so much.  And then to not see any loss... was feeling very discouraged and really quite angry.  Took Friday off from exercising (and Sat and Sun) and basically allowed myself to eat more and to loosen up on what I ate over the weekend.  I just need to have a mental break from monitoring it all so closely.  Now I"m feeling like getting back in the game and have some new goals for this week.  1) Try to keep within calorie goal and cut back on snacking unless really, truly hungry and have already tried drinking water.   2) Also cut way back on sweets and carbs. I'm trying for a South Bean Phase 2 type thing here because I've wondered if the reason I'm not losing and that I'm hungry and/or craving all the time is that my sugar and "bad carbs" are way too high.  On MFP, my sugar amount is always way over what the daily amount should be.  Trying to reach for lots of protein and low carb options this week.  3) Doing weight training 4 days this week combined with HIIT cardio on elliptical on those days with something different in the middle of the week.  I did this today and loved the combo.  I did 15 minutes with weights (3 sets of 10 reps each of 6 exercises) and then 20 minutes on the elliptical alternating between 1 minute of very high intensity and 2 minutes of low intensity.  I want to work up to more like 30 minutes of that.  I think I can do that soon.  I really don't know if I'm doing the right things but from what I'm reading it might be what my body needs to start dropping weight again.  Part of my problem is that I don't have a way to really measure my calorie burn so I rely on trying to figure out what exactly to put in MFP and hope it's close to what I actually burned.  I'm thinking about getting a simple calorie counter but want one that isn't too expensive but will also do the job.  Any suggestions about this, Kris or anyone else?  Thanks for continuing to motivate us, Kris! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand your frustration. Knowing how many calories you're actually
    burning is very important. I think that's why I did so well with my body
    bugg. Of course, that's not an inexpensive option (but worth every penny, in
    my opinion). You might shop around on eBay or Craig's List. You can also
    compare prices with Body Media and Go Fit. They're essentially the same
    thing as the body bugg and sometimes you can find a decent price on them on
    sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm deff not giving up! This is the most I've been able to lose in 12 years, no way am I giving that up! I know I'm getting enough cals. My limit is around the 1400 mark and I avg 1300-1350.

    Because of knee and back problems my running is off to a very slooooow start. Maybe I'll try adding in a cardio video or 2 and see if I can get the calorie burn and also change up what I've been doing. I know it's be very hot and humid and I've had zero motivation, which probably doesn't help.

    Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, your menu looks great! I am going to have to try that peanut butter/cottage cheese combo. That's one I haven't heard before but I love PB and I love cottage cheese so why not?

    My goals this week: uh, lose at least 2 pounds. That's my biggie since I didn't hit that this past week. Other than that I want to step it up a notch on my workouts and add in some strength training. I really need to be challenging myself more than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cottage cheese/peanut butter toast has quickly become one of my favorite
    breakfasts -- and it's quick and easy, too. Good luck on the 2 pounds this
    week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kris!  I just recently started reading your blog and it is so inspiring... definitely worth the time I know it takes you to write.  You have lots of great ideas and its even better that you are a 'real person'.  I am a homeschooling mom to 4 as well and its so motivating to see what you have accomplished.. I hope you don't mind but you have inspired me to start thinking about blogging my weight loss journey myself...I'm only at the beginning though.  But having the blog really seems to add some accountability!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I'm so glad to hear that I've helped to inspire you. Blogging the
    journey has really been a huge benefit to me. I hope you find that to be
    true, as well. Best wishes on your own weight-loss journey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your menu looks great! Question: Where are you finding your spaghetti squash? I can't find it where I've been shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I got your comment to show up...and I found out why it wasn't. I bet you commented on your phone, didn't you? I talked to the folks at Disqus and right now their app isn't recognizing Blogger's mobile app...or something like that. I had to import comments to get it to show up, but at least now I know why it wasn't.

    Anyway, to answer your question: Walmart. They're usually near the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I got your comment to show up...and I found out why it wasn't. I bet you commented on your phone, didn't you? I talked to the folks at Disqus and right now their app isn't recognizing Blogger's mobile app...or something like that. I had to import comments to get it to show up, but at least now I know why it wasn't.

    Anyway, to answer your question: Walmart. They're usually near the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle OssmannJuly 25, 2011 at 9:43 PM

    Yes, I usually comment on my phone.  I was wondering if the comments were coming through!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.