Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Need Inspiration?

We’re a “quick fix” society. We like drive-thru windows, ATM machines, and DVRs that let us skip commercials. We want it all and we want it now. We also want it as easily as possible.

The fact is, though, some things just take hard work and determination.

I’m not a fan of weight-loss surgeries. I think they’re a quick, though certainly not inexpensive or even easy, fix that don’t address the psychological issues behind the original weight gain. I can’t tell you how many contestants I’ve seen on The Biggest Loser who have had weight-loss surgery.

I know some people may consider it their best option, but I’m still a fan of losing weight the old-fashioned way. If you think you can’t do it, check out this story of a woman who lost half her weight – 300 pounds – through diet and exercise.

It can be done! It won’t be quick. It won’t be easy, but it can be done.

Do or do not. There is no try.

5 comments:

  1. marvelous_mad_madam_mimJune 14, 2011 at 10:12 AM

    That lady is cool. I hope they do a follow up sometime as I don't think she is finished yet and I would love to see her further progress. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she said she wasn't finished. I agree -- I'd love to see a follow up when she's at her goal weight. She has such a great attitude and is such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that! Thanks for sharing, Kris. I liked what her trainer said....She's not looking for excuses NOT to exercise but reasons TO exercise. I also found her food choices interesting. She had made food "boring" and thus turned it from being "tempting" to "fuel." More to think on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that was interesting, too, about the food. In one of the Biggest Loser books I read one of the couples who'd been on the show said they had made their food about fueling their bodies not what "sounded good" for that very reason. I haven't been able to do that. I love food too much. However, I have learned to make good-tasting foods that are healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had some acquaintances asking me how I have lost weight so far. Everyone is looking for that magic bullet, that elusive fix that will solve their weight problems. All I can say is I am literally working my hind end off to lose this weight. Diet and exercise. Hard work and determination. There's no secret cure. I love your quote on here - Do or do not, there is no try. That is totally spot on. And I say that as a person who has struggled over and over with my weight, looking for that cure that would solve my problem. It all comes down to hard work and determination, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.