Monday, March 21, 2011

Do or Do Not Challenge: Week 12

It's Week 12 of the Do or Do Not Challenge.  Congrats to those who've made it through the first three months.  Only one month to go -- one month until shorts/swimsuit weather is upon us!  Yikes!  Don't give up now!  Now is the time to buckle down and get serious.  Then, we can be the ones who are more comfortable than we've been in a long time when it comes time to bare more skin. Are you ready for this week's challenges?

1.  Totally change up your routine this week.  I read on the Apex (bodybugg) website that, in order to avoid the dreaded plateau, you should take at least 7 days off your regular workout routine every 12 weeks.  Now, I'm a little too scared to take a week completely off, but I am willing to change things up.

If you’ve been at this for a while, it’s time to consider switching things up.  Instead of the treadmill, try the stationary bike.  Skip the elliptical workout and head to a spin bike class.  If you have access to an indoor pool (or you’re lucky enough to live where it’s warm enough to swim outside already), try swimming laps for your workout.  Got a favorite workout DVD?  Trade it to a friend for her favorite for a couple of weeks.

Remember: If your routine has become routine to you, it’s become routine to your body, too, which means your body isn’t working as hard or as effectively as it could be.

2.  Encourage someone via email or phone this week.  You're working hard to lose weight, so you know how difficult it can be to stay committed and focused.  Even the most dedicated among us still have discouraging weeks or those moments when we really just don't want to workout on a given day...or a given week.

You also know how a simple act of encouragement from a friend or family member can give you a whole new perspective.  I bet, if you take a minute to send that email or make that phone call, you'll find that you've encouraged yourself, as well...and I can practically guarantee that your friend will appreciate it.

So, there you have it – your Week 12 challenges.  Remember this is your time:  Do or do not; there is no try!

 

4 comments:

  1. I've just been diagnosed with Lupus and Celiac disease, in addition to the insulin resistance, PCOS, fibromyalgia, and thyroid disease that I've been dealing with for the past 14 years. I am so discouraged because it is nearly impossible for me to lose weight with my body working against me. I want to be around for my daughters (9, 3, & 18 months) for a long time, so I've got to DO something to reduce my risk of diabetes and heart attack. All of this to say, what would you recommend I start with? I cannot afford a gym membership, but I do have an $85 gift certificate to put towards some at-home gym equipment. Should I get a mini-elliptical, a stepper, a bike, or what? I want to jump start my metabolism without hurting my already painful joints. What is your favorite gym equipment?

    Thanks for any advice for me as I'm starting this journey! You're my role model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,

    Wow. What a diagnosis to get all at once. (((Hugs))) My father-in-law has fibromyalgia and working out has helped him so much with the general pain and soreness.

    I can only imagine that losing weight would help relieve some of the pain for you. I had to carry some weights down our stairs a few weeks ago and I was amazed at how I could feel the 20 extra pounds in my legs and knees. I can't believe I used to carry around 70 extra pounds all the time.

    If I could only have one piece of gym equipment, it would be my treadmill. I love the treadmill because I can walk or run rain or shine, hot or cold. I can adjust the incline and speed for tougher workouts as my body gets stronger.

    Walking is a great workout because it's easy on your knees, yet gets your heart rate up. And, as I said, the treadmill will let you progress to running when you're ready.

    I know $85 won't get you a good treadmill, but it would give you a good start. That would be my personal choice. My second choice would either be an elliptical or a bike. Both are great, low-impact workouts that are easy on your knees and joints, but still give you a good cardio workout.

    Hope that helps! I know you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really feeling for you Sara - it must be so ghard dealing with so many diagnoses at once - but how encouraging to have some guidance as to which foods will help you and hinder you health-wise. Praying for you at this difficult time!

    I would agree with Kris - all I do at the moment is walking (I have bad knees) and I have seen such an improvement in my fitness level over the past couple of months - hope you are able to get some equipment to encourage you on this journey. Swimming in a more heated pool is great with fibromyalgia too(my mum's friend teaches a class). Praying God puts people in your path that can lead you to the best resources for your health needs.

    As for me - I am a bundle of excuses for the last few challenges (I hope to get to them all eventually though) but I did email a friend some encouragement and blogged about it here: http://thirty-onethriftyandthriving.blogspot.com/2011/03/do-or-do-not-challenge-12.html

    Thanks again for the encouragement Kris - I hope you know how much of a help you are to all of us.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thanks, Grainne. You all encourage ME so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.