Monday, March 7, 2011

Do or Do Not Challenge: Week 10

Note:  In the Fitness Swap schedule I’d said that the link-up for your posts about the swap would be today.  I wasn’t thinking about it being challenge day, so the link-up post will be tomorrow.  Be sure to post about your Fitness Swap exchange, post some pictures, and come back to link up tomorrow.

So, how are you doing with the challenges? I hope you're finding them encouraging, motivating and, well, challenging.  We’re more than halfway through, so hopefully you’re finding that the changes you’re making are those you can enjoy for a lifetime.  Are you ready for this week's challenges? Here you go!

1.   Plan a week's worth of healthy meals this week.  For me, planning is key.  I think this is true for a lot of people, too.  That’s why I strongly encourage you to write out a menu for this week (I know that some of you already do that) and do your grocery shopping based on it.  I frequently try to couple a higher calorie dinner with a lower calorie lunch, to ensure that I stay within my calorie range each day.

2.  Try a new exercise routine or DVD this week.  Not only do we tend to get mentally bored with doing the same routine all the time, but our body adapts, too.  After awhile, your body becomes more efficient, burning less calories doing the same workout.  To keep burning fat and losing calories, we need to change things up every couple of weeks or so. I know that  workout DVDs can get expensive after awhile, so be sure to check your local library.  You may be pleasantly surprised to find a nice selection of workout videos.  Also, consider swapping with a friend.  That way, you both can change things up with no added expense.

The official start of spring is just two weeks away!  Can you believe that?  Are you staying consistent so you'll be ready for shorts and swim suit season?  (How's that for motivation?)

5 comments:

  1. Menu planning has so helped my organisation of late. This week I've included my snacks on the plan so that I know what to eat when (or at least have a healthy option written down).

    Thanks again for the challenges Kris - I know I benefitted lots from (slightly) more sleep last week.

    Blogged about it here: http://thirty-onethriftyandthriving.blogspot.com/2011/03/do-or-do-not-challenge-10.html

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't gotten mine yet....sooooo i will blog later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just curious...Do you plan all of your meals and snacks? I know someone that does this at the start of each week. She counts WW points and knows exactly what she's going to eat for every single meal for the week. I plan all of our dinners in advance, but I don't plan specific breakfast, lunch and snack menus. I plan my breakfast and lunch each morning knowing how many calories my dinner is going to be so that I make sure I'm within my calorie goal range. I just wondered how you do it. I admire your success. You're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra,

    Thanks! To answer your question : sort of. I plan my lunches and dinners, but I don't necessarily count calories beforehand. I do have a rough idea of the calorie count, though, so I try to pair a higher-calorie lunch with a lower-calorie dinner and vice versa. My breakfasts are all about the same calorie count, roughly, so I don't worry too much about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Menu planning has so helped my organisation of late. This week I've included my snacks on the plan so that I know what to eat when (or at least have a healthy option written down).

    Thanks again for the challenges Kris - I know I benefitted lots from (slightly) more sleep last week.

    Blogged about it here: http://thirty-onethriftyandthriving.blogspot.com/2011/03/do-or-do-not-challenge-10.html

    G

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.