Monday, February 7, 2011

Do or Do Not Challenge: Week 6

Can you believe it's already Week 6 of the Do or Do Not Weight-Loss Challenge?  Wow!  I can't believe how fast the time is flying.  How did you do last week?  Did changing up your cardio work well for you?  Did you find some new breakfast favorites?  I hope you're doing great with the challenges.  Here are a couple of more to keep you motivated this week:

1.  Split up your calories.  Consider splitting up your calories to allow for 2-3 snacks throughout the day to keep metabolism and blood sugar even throughout the day.  Now, don't do this if you're doing well with your eating -- you don't want to fix what's not broken -- but if you're finding yourself hungry or battling cravings, you might want to give this a try.

One of The Biggest Loser books I've got suggests dividing your daily calorie budget by five (for three meals and two snack) or six (three meals and three snacks).  That way, you're eating about the same number of calories throughout the day, rather than eating a big meal late in the day.  (I tend to go for three meals and one or two snacks.)  The key to this, of course, is choosing healthy snack options.  Some of my favorites are:

  • Yogurt
  • Boiled eggs
  • String cheese
  • Veggies and dip
  • Fresh fruits (I love apples and oranges)
  • A bowl of cereal
  • Peanut butter on whole wheat toast

What are some of your favorite healthy snacks?

2.  Walk at least 10,000 steps at least 5 days this weekStudies have shown that walking 10,000 steps a day can be one of the best ways to increase physical activity and lose weight, better sometimes, even than a goal of 30 minutes a day of exercise.  The best way to count your steps is with a pedometer.  A decent pedometer is a relatively inexpensive investment – especially compared to fitness equipment like treadmills and elliptical machines.  If you don't have a pedometer, just challenge yourself to be more purposefully active this week.  Check out these ideas for adding more steps to your day.

Keep going!  We can do this!

 

3 comments:

  1. Hummus or black bean dip. Both are easy to make and very filling. You can eat them with crackers, pretzels, celery, cucumbers .... I also like it just plain from the spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find fruit to be the easiest snack. I always throw some in my bag so I can munch on them when I get hungry when I'm out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find fruit to be the easiest snack. I always throw some in my bag so I can munch on them when I get hungry when I'm out and about!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.