Monday, January 31, 2011

Do or Do Not Challenge: Week 5

Are you still with me on the Weekly Challenges?  Based on the comments I’ve been getting, it sounds like y’all are doing great!   We're getting to the part where the initial excitement is starting to wear off the and the reality of the scope of the commitment this journey is going to take is starting to set in.  Don't quit!  If we just keep moving forward, we can reach our goals.  I can tell you how exciting it is to be so close when, this time last year, it still seemed so far away.  Are you getting close?  Even if you’re not, the commitment is so worth the results, so stick with it!

How did you do with last week's challenges? If you had a successful eat out challenge, I'd love to hear about it.  I've got a few places where I know I can have an enjoyable meal for under 500 calories, but I'd love to have some new ideas to tuck away for future reference.

Let's get to this week's challenges...

1.  Change your cardio routine this week (and next). I read an article on the Apex (bodybugg) site that said you should change your cardio routine every other week in an effort to avoid those infamous plateaus.  If you've been walking, switch to biking (exercise or actual bike).  Maybe you've been biking and you'd like to try the elliptical machine.  Whatever you've been doing, switch it up, both to avoid the plateau and to avoid boredom.

I got a kettlebell this weekend as part of my reaching a huge milestone celebration.  It’s something I’ve been wanting to try.  I’m hoping to get a chance to use it today – tomorrow at the latest.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

2.  Find two or three healthy breakfasts that fit your lifestyle.  All that you've heard about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is true.  Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism and helps you avoid overeating at lunch.  Sometimes, though, our morning are crazy and we don't have time to think about breakfast.  Find something that you enjoy that is easy for you to prepare each morning.  Some of my favorites:

  • A bowl of cereal.  I try to look for the low-calorie, high-fiber choices.  Topped with fruit, even the most bland cereals can be pretty good. 
  • Yogurt
  • Oatmeal (quick and easy in the microwave)
  • Boiled egg and a piece of fruit
  • Whole wheat toast topped with a little natural peanut butter.  (Check the label – most grocery stores now offer at least one brand that’s made only with peanuts, no added sugars.)

What are some of your favorite healthy breakfast choices?

4 comments:

  1. It's like you were reading my mind over the weekend and this morning. First, I didn't eat out at all this past week, so I skipped that part of the challenge. It's just a budget thing for us right now. I know of places where I can get great things though. Applebees has a dijon chicken dish that is fantastic! Anyway, I'm trying to find new breakfast ideas that are dairy-free, so your list was helpful. This morning I had to make myself eat to get my metabolism started because I'm tired of the routine breakfast choices. I also had already decided that I'm changing my workout routine this week and adding more cardio. I'm sticking with you!!! Thanks for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me, Kendra. I love your attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating out: I studied both Applebees and Boston's. We ended up at Applebees, and I had the steak and shrimp. Right at 500 calories according to their nutrition guide. I took the almonds off (maybe 1 tbsp?) because I didn't think they added anything to the flavor, and I didn't need the crunch.

    Breakfast: My usual breakfast is either 8 oz of Naked Juice (blue machine or red machine) + 2 tbsp of flax meal OR a boiled egg + a piece of Ezekiel 4:9 bread.

    @Kendra, both of my breakfast options are dairy free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good challenges again Kris - haven't quite gotten to last week's eating out one yet.

    Blogged about it here: http://thirty-onethriftyandthriving.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekly-weigh-in-5-do-or-do-not.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.