Monday, January 10, 2011

Do or Do Not Challenge: Week 2

j0386339It’s Week 2 of the 2011 Do or Do Not Challenge.  How did you do on last week's challenge?  Did you write down everything that you ate?  Any surprises?  How was your activity level? Did you pledge your weight loss goals to the Pound-for-Pound Challenge?  It's not too late if you didn't.  Are you ready for this week's challenge?  Here we go!

1.  Plan how you're going to track your calories consumed, long-term, and begin tracking. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do it.  In my experience, tracking what you're eating is one of the keys to successful weight-loss.  So, will you be counting calories, watching carbs, counting Points?  Whichever you chose, figure out what your calorie budget should be in order to reach your goals and stick to it this week. If you're going to be counting Points, make sure you've got all the Weight Watchers materials you need.  If you're going to be counting calories, you might want to check out SparkPeople or The Daily Plate to help you do that.  Both are free.  Here's a simple formula for those 150 pounds or heavier from The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps to help you figure out how many calories you need:

Your present weight X 7 = Your daily calorie goal

Note:  According to the book, if you are below 150 lbs. you should check with your doctor about your daily calorie needs for weight loss.  Also, based on the formula above, your calories needs will change as you lose weight, so be sure and check it every so often and adjust accordingly.

2.  Track your activity level.  Writing things down brings a sense of accountability.  Don’t stress too much about setting specific time goals this week, we’ll do that next week.  For now, just write down what you’re doing so that you can get an idea of where you are, what you might enjoy, and where you can improve.  Often, just focusing more on movement encourages you to be conscious about being more active.

3. Clean out the kitchen! Toss the junk or donate unopened foods to an area food bank.  You can't binge on or be tempted by food if it's not around.  Save yourself the stress and just get rid of it.  If you have a spouse or kids who balk at this idea, I would encourage you to remind them that you need their support – and getting processed junk foods out of the house will benefit their health, as well. 

That's it for this week.  You can do it! Be sure to check in -- by leaving a comment -- and keep yourself accountable.  It's not too late to join in if you haven't already.  Check last week's challenge and play catch-up.

Don’t forget, it’s not too late to sign up for the first Eclipsed Fitness Swap!

10 comments:

  1. I had a good week and lost 2.6 lbs! Blogged about it here: http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2011/01/small-and-simple-thingsweek-5.html

    I really need to clean out the kitchen. We've done some of it with my hubby and children's support, it is time to choose another thing to let go that is unhealthy...hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID do all the things in last weeks challenge!! AND I can't wait until tomorrow's weight in!

    I found that there were a couple of times where I declined eating just because I didn't want to have to go write it down..and they weren't bad choices but just not worth the effort of noting them.

    Thanks for the inspiration and accountability!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the weight loss, Tristan!

    Joesette, that's so exciting about you choosing not to eat certain things! I know when I did WW, I'd had a really hard time giving up Cokes, but then when it came down to counting the Points for them, I decided that it just wasn't worth the Points. It's amazing what a little accountability can do. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a great week with last week's challenge, and I'm looking forward to this week's challenge details too!

    I was wondering if there is a place to report the pounds we lose on pound for pound? Is it just a pledge, and then they automatically donate that much food, or do we need to report our progress? It makes more sense to me that we would need to report it, but I couldn't find anywhere to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra,

    It would make sense that you'd report it, but I don't think that you do. I never did last time. As far as I understand, it's just making the pledge.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this week's challenge. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. let me tell you...my kitchen is CLEANED OUT!!!

    Well, we have a few snacky cakes and cheesy poofs still--but they are for the kid.

    Weigh in is tonight at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't even weighed myself this week because I *know* I didn't lose. I didn't do any exercise this past week.

    I stink.

    But moving forward...

    I'm ahead of the game: I cleaned out the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got all last week's challenges done and dusted - hope I'll do as well this week (though i already blew through the calorie limit yesterday).

    Blogged about it here:
    http://thirty-onethriftyandthriving.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-weigh-in-2-do-or-do-not.html

    Thanks Kris for starting off the challenges gently!

    Grainne

    ReplyDelete
  9. let me tell you...my kitchen is CLEANED OUT!!!

    Well, we have a few snacky cakes and cheesy poofs still--but they are for the kid.

    Weigh in is tonight at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a good week and lost 2.6 lbs! Blogged about it here: http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2011/01/small-and-simple-thingsweek-5.html

    I really need to clean out the kitchen. We've done some of it with my hubby and children's support, it is time to choose another thing to let go that is unhealthy...hmm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.