Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grilled Chicken and Fruit Salad

Introducing my new favorite lunch:

Grilled chicken and fruit salad

Those who know me know how much my family and I love Chick-Fil-A.  If you don't, then, this about sums it up:



Okay, so now that you're caught up...

We're in Chick-Fil-A at least twice a week -- once for lunch on the kids' music day and once on Friday nights before hitting the grocery store.  I love eating at CFA because there are at least three choices for me there that are low in fat and calories.  One of those three is a meal I have recently discovered, the Chargrilled Chicken and Fruit salad.  Yum!

I wasn't sure about strawberries, grapes and granola on a salad, but it totally works.  And, apples?  I've gotten to where I'll put an apple on just about any salad.  I love CFA's salad so much that I've started making my own at home -- and they may be even better than CFA's because I can toss on a few of my favorites that aren't available on Chick-Fil-A's salad.  In addition to being delicious, this salad is also a great way to get in your fruits and veggies.

The salad pictured about was:

  • About a cup to a cup-and-a-half of green leaf lettuce
  • 1 Tbsp. reduced-fat feta cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. granola (a low-fat variety from our local healthy grocery store)
  • 2 Tbsp. Craisins
  • 1 Tbsp. walnuts
  • 4 calamata olives
  • 1 Tbsp. sliced pepperoncini
  • 1 Tbsp. pepperoncini juice
  • 5 or 6 grapes
  • 2 strawberries, sliced
  • 1/2 apple, diced
  • 1/2 chicken breast, grilled and diced
  • 2 Tbsp. my favorite low-fat Italian dressing**
The whole salad is just about 430 calories -- not bad for lunch. What are some of your favorite lunches?


**Low-Fat Italian dressing:  Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, made according to package directions, except I swap the amounts of oil and vinegar, using 1/2 cup of vinegar and only 1/4 cup of oil.


6 comments:

  1. I love Tim Hawkins...I will have to try your salad...it looks so yummy. I forget about making nicer salads at home and tend to serve boring ones....thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad looks and sounds delicious! I think I'll make sure I have the ingredients to try it soon. For some reason, I started reacting poorly to fast food salads a few years ago, so I avoid them like the plague, but this one looks like a delicious lunch treat to have at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song, I emailed it to all my friends and family the first time I heard it...and I've never even been to Chik-Fil-A. Don't stone me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! I'm hungry for lunch now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a salad person, but I would totally eat that salad! That looks awesome!

    We love Tim Hawkins in our house. The Chick-fil-a song just cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.