Thursday, March 18, 2010

Less Is More

I'm sure you've all heard the expression "less is more."  I never realized how true that is until I began my weight-loss journey.  I was reflecting on this last weekend and realized there is a little less in my life these days...
  • Less of me -- 34.6 pounds less, to be exact
  • Less negativity -- I don't beat myself up like I used to.
  • Less shame -- I'm no longer ashamed of the way I look because I'm doing something about it.
  • Less pain -- I'm not stiff and sore when I stand up after sitting for a while (well, unless I've been sitting on one leg, like I have a habit of doing, but I think that's more an age thing than a weight thing).
  • Less calories -- I don't even want to think about how many calories I used to eat in a day.
  • Less excuses -- no excuses for being overweight, no excuses for not working out and only the occasional excuses for eating past my calorie deficit for the day (Hey, a once-in-a-blue-moon weekend date with your hubby is a good one, as far as excuses go!)
But while there is a lot less in many areas, there is a lot more in others...
  • More self-confidence -- Oh my goodness!  If I could just show you, for a day, where I was and where I am now.  I'm friendlier and more outgoing; I smile more easily.  And, all because I feel so much better about myself.  Now if that would just carry over to my attitude toward people who don't know how to merge in traffic.
  • More clothes -- Even though I've only got a few pairs of blue jeans that fit me (because I'm getting too small for the ones I used to wear!), I have so many more clothes because it's so much more fun to buy them now!  And, they don't have any holes.
  • More energy -- One of the many benefits of exercise
  • More vitality -- I just feel so much better.
  • More pride -- Not the negative, hey-look-at-me kind, rather the pride that comes from knowing that you're finally making good, healthy choices with regards to nutrition and exercise
  • More jewelry -- Okay, I don't really have any more jewelry than I used to; it's just that more of it fits now.
  • More self-confidence -- Did I say that one already?  It's worth saying again.  I am no longer ashamed to go to the mall or meet my husband's friends (granted, I'm sure they still see a fat girl, but I know that I'm much less fat than I was...and much more fat than I'll be the next time they see me!)
  • More intimacy -- Since this is a G-rated blog, I'll just leave it at "some things are more fun when you're thinner and less self-conscious of your body."  'Nuff said.
I wish I'd discovered ten or fifteen years ago how true the saying "less is more" is.  I feel like I've wasted some of the best years of my life...but I'm not wasting any more!  This time, I'm losing the weight, once and for all, so that I can fully enjoy my life and my family in a fit, healthy body.

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! You go girl!

    So glad to see that your are experiencing so many benefits to your weight loss :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'll have to come back for motivation when I try to lose this baby weight. =) I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! You go girl!

    So glad to see that your are experiencing so many benefits to your weight loss :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.