Monday, January 11, 2010

Do or Do Not Challenge: Week 2

How did you do on last week's challenge?  Did you write down everything that you ate?  Any surprises?  Did you pledge your pounds lost to Pound-for-Pound Challenge?  It's not too late if you didn't.  Are you ready for this week's challenge?  Here we go!

1.  Plan how you're going to track your eating and begin tracking.  It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you do it.  In my experience, tracking what you're eating is one of the keys to successful weight-loss.  So, will you be counting calories, watching carbs, counting Points?  Whichever you chose, figure out what you need and stick to it this week.

If you're going to be counting Points, make sure you've got all the Weight Watchers materials you need.  If you're going to be counting calories, you might want to check out SparkPeople or The Daily Plate to help you do that.  Both are free.  Here's a simple formula from The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps to help you figure out how many calories you need:

Your present weight X 7 = Your daily calorie goal


Note:  According to the book, if you are below 150 lbs. you should check with your doctor about your daily calorie needs for weight loss.  Also, based on the formula above, your calories needs will change as you lose weight, so be sure and check it every so often (I'm planning on checking mine every 20 lbs. or so) and adjust accordingly.


2. Clean out the kitchen! Toss the junk or donate unopened foods to an area food bank.  You can't binge on it or be tempted by it if it's not around.  Save yourself the stress and just get rid of it.


That's it for this week.  You can do it!  Be sure to check in -- by leaving a comment -- and keep yourself accountable.  It's not too late to join in if you haven't already.  Check last week's challenge and play catch-up.


5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way to jump start your weight loss. I've lost 3 1/2 pounds so far. Didn't lose any last week but didn't gain either. I noticed your calorie counter on how to figure out how much to eat per day.. If I used that I probably would starve :) With my weight times seven puts me under 1200 calories a day and that's not healthy. I have myself at about 14-1500 calories a day and the weight is coming off. It's not only the amount your eating it's all what your eating. I take one meal at a time, one day at a time. I am following the guidelines of a great book I just reviewed called "The One Day Way" by Chantel Hobbs.. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's not actually my calories guide; it's The Biggest Loser's. ;-) However, I totally agree that I wouldn't ever consider it advisable to go below 1200 calories. Eating too few calories is just as bad as eating too many, both for health reasons and weight loss. If you eat too few, your body goes into starvation mode and you don't lose.

    For me, that formula guideline put me right in the range that was also suggested for me through BodyBugg. You absolutely have to go with what's right for you and approved by your doctor.

    I'm glad you've found something that's working well for you. And, welcome to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck? So, someone who is 140 pounds would only be allowed 980 calories a day? That's just wrong. I know, it's not your calorie guide, but since you posted it, I had to say it. ;) Most sources I have read advise to not go below 1200 calories per day or your body goes into starvation mode and you can stop losing weight.

    Okay -- I'm done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The formula I posted put me right in the same range that BodyBugg put me in for losing weight, so it was accurate for me, which is why I posted it. I went back and re-read that section after the comments I've received and noticed that it does say:

    If you weigh less than 150 pounds, talk to your doctor about a calorie budget based on your individual weight-loss needs.

    Anything I post here is based on my own personal experiences. You should never do anything that is contrary to what you or your personal doctor feel is healthy for you. I would never, ever suggest that anyone should drop below 1200 calories per day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I just joined the challenge today! I'm planning on doing a post on my blog about it (and this week's goals) later tonight to post tomorrow...I'll let you know the link when it is up!
    Though it is not of the challenge week goals, one of my personal goals this week was to get exercising! Today was day 1 - doing a Biggest Loser DVD at home. Got my heart pumping and me breathing hard, but it felt GOOD!

    I hadn't seen that formula before...I presume it is the formula for weight loss consumption...right now mine stands at roughly 1900, though I hope that number keeps changing regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.