Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday: Chicken Breasts

I have discovered a great tip for chicken that is frugal and portion-control-friendly.  A new recipe I was making recently called for very thinly sliced chicken breasts.  Since I don't have one of those meat hammer things (Yes, I'm very technically-savvy where kitchen tools are concerned.  You know that thing I'm talking about, though.), I simply sliced the breast in half length-wise.

Wow!  Simple, but this has been a wonderful revelation.  The benefits of slicing the breasts in half include:
  • Better portion control for those of us watching what we eat
  • The smaller size is perfect for kids (and the hubby can just have seconds)
  • Very economical -- I can get eight breasts instead of four out of a typical package
  • The thinly sliced breasts absorb marinades more quickly
  • They cook faster
Ever since I discovered that the half slices fill the kids and I up with less waste and cook faster, I've been doing this for all our meals calling for chicken breasts.  It's been a great money and calorie saver.

Visit Kristin at We Are THAT Family for more Works for Me Wednesday tips.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I just discovered this recently as well. I am trying to save money and one way that I am doing this is by serving less meat. I didn't even think about the other benefits that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! I'm going to have to try this myself. I always watch for the price of chicken breast to hit $1.89/lb. before I even buy any b/c they can be so expensive, and then I stock up our freezer. This tip will help us stretch our dollar even farther. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thinly sliced chicken breasts. They cook so much faster. But I hate pounding them. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tip! I just discovered this also. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.