Friday, December 4, 2009

Advantages of Losing Weight at Home

So, I was watching the Biggest Loser this week and I noticed that Bob and Jillian spent a lot of time talking with the "final four" about integrating back into life at home.  The contestants were all talking about how hard it was to be back home with all the responsibilities and temptations that they had been able to avoid while on the ranch.

While I've always thought how wonderful it would be to go to the Biggest Loser ranch and have personal trainers, nutritionists, doctors and all that fabulous exercise equipment at my disposal (not to mention losing insane amounts of weight in just three months), I realized that I have a huge advantage over the Biggest Loser contestantsI can figure out how to make it all work as I go!

By the time I reach my weight loss goals, I should have a pretty good handle on fitting exercise in with daily life, though I'm still trying to find that right balance right now.  I hate getting up early, but I know if I don't, the possibility of me not working out on any given day increases greatly.  I'd prefer to get up about 9:00 or 9:30, at the earliest, to workout, but if I do that we're so late starting school that it makes the day seem so long.

By the time I reach my weight loss goals, I should have figured out how to handle the foods that I allow in my house and those that tempt me when I'm out -- one of the hardest aspects to weight loss besides consistency, I think.  I should have worked my way through figuring out what kind of support I need from friends and family...and being able to tell them.

I can see where The Biggest Loser ranch would be an awesome, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but I can also see where I can make my own advantages.  I've realized that the people on the show aren't doing anything that I can't do, though I might have to work a little harder or dig a little deeper to learn how to make the changes on my own.  It's nice, though, to be able to see the advantages of losing weight at home.


6 comments:

  1. So true! I would miss my family so much if I were on the ranch, I don't know how those with very little ones did it. I think Danny must have figured things out (and has the support of his family at home) because he lost almost 60 pounds when he went home! I also never liked how they forbade some foods on the ranch (like bananas...give me a break, it's a banana lol.) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go..but would never leave my kids for that long. They lose so much weight bc their job is working out. we can never simulate that at home...at least while homeschooling! (Just found you...and dont remember how.)

    I find that the hardest thing for me is potluck at church, and meals with family...that's twice every week. It really causes me to lose weight slowly or not at all.

    and i just cant see myself bringing a sandwich to my mil's when she's gone to so much trouble to feed me and my family. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Michelle -- I eat at my sister's house every week. I've been very fortunate that my whole family has gotten on board with healthy eating...well, at least the ones responsible for cooking -- my sister, my cousin, my mom, and me. We also have supportive husbands, so that helps tremendously.

    Maybe you couldn't take sandwiches, but could you get your mil on board with your weight loss efforts? If not, for her house and the church pot-luck, why not bring a healthy side dish or fruit, so that you'd have something you could fill up on while indulging in smaller samples of the other options?

    I bet, if you get your mil on board, she'd understand your commitment to losing weight -- and she could still enjoy feeding your husband and kids treats, even if you had some lower fat options.

    I know it can be tricky with family. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Ya'll. If I went away somewhere and didnt have kids and hubby and housework then came home and had to try to handle all of that and the weight loss it would be so hard.
    Michelle another thought is eat before you go to the family dinners. Then you can snack lightly while there on whatever is there that is healthy or the healthy snack you bring yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - I wouldn't be able to take the mind games on that show let alone being away from my family that long. BUT I would seriously consider going to their new "spa" to get a jump start if money were no object. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Berry Patch -- Oh, I totally agree about that spa. I would LOVE to do that, but YIKES is it pricey!

    And now I have to reflect on how funny it is that I just said that...not too long ago, I never would have thought I'd say that I'd "love" to go to Fitness Ridge for a week. That would NOT have been my idea of a great way to spend a week (or two) of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Your encouragement, support, or commiseration is appreciated.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.